What are Rigid Flex Circuit Boards?
Rigid flex circuit boards, learned from the name, are the combination of rigid PCBs and flex PCBs, after punching and other PCB manufacturing processes according to the technical requirements, which finally forming both characteristics of FPC and rigid PCB.
Most rigid flex circuit boards consist of multiple layers of flexible substrates attached to one or more rigid boards, depending upon the design of the application. The flexible substrates are designed to be in a constant state of flex and are usually formed into the flexed curve during PCB manufacturing or assembly.
The two-in-one circuit is interconnected through PTHs. Rigid flex circuit boards provide the higher component density and better quality control. Designs are rigid where extra support is needed and flexible around corners and areas requiring extra space.
Rigid flex designs are more challenging than the design of a typical rigid board, as these boards are designed in a 3D space, which also offers greater spatial efficiency. By being able to design in three dimensions rigid flex designers can twist, fold and roll the flexible laminates (PI) to achieve their desired shape for the final application’s packages.
Rigid flex printed circuit boards are beneficial and allow you to:
- Reduce the size and weight of the products. Only rigid flex printed circuit boards can reach some goal – As an example, for pocket mp3-players with a thickness of no more than 10-15 millimeters.
- Develop a body of any shape. Like mobile or radiotelephone, radio, miniature medical devices – they all have a complex shape and need high-quality stuffing. There would not be rigid flex printed circuit boards, there would not be this technique of interesting forms.
- Reduce the time and cost of assembly. Thanks to the use of rigid flex printed circuit boards, you can use group assembly technology.
- Reduce the number of errors during assembly. Thanks to the high-quality machine assembly, the influence of the human factor is reduced to zero. All assembly steps are fast and do not need to be checked.
- Increase system reliability. Rigid flex printed circuit boards, ideal for reducing the number of contacts, thereby automatically increasing the reliability of the entire product.
PS Electronics is one of the providers of standard and custom rigid flex circuit boards for your industrial application requirements. Contact us to know more or request a quote now.